Yes, you read that right. BACON caramel popcorn is the must-try treat of the season. Here’s how to make it:
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 ounces bacon, about 2 slices
- 1 1/2 quarts popped popcorn
- 8 teaspoons butter
- 4 teaspoons bacon fat
- 5 ounces (10 tablespoons) brown sugar
- 8 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. With your popped popcorn in a large bowl, prepare two sheet pans with nonstick spray. Line aluminium fill as well.
3. Par-cook the bacon and render the fat in a saucepan. Strain the fat after it’s been cooked.
4. Drain excess fat from the cooked bacon on a paper towel. Next, add it to the popcorn.
5. In the saucepan already used, add the butter and bacon fat (add more bacon fat as needed). Heat until the butter has fully melted.
6. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt. Bring to a boil and stir constantly. Continue to boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
7. Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla.
8. Pour in a thin stream over popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
9. Split the mixture between sheet pans and bake. Make you sure you stir every 15 minutes for 1 hour. Remove from the oven and leave to cool before breaking up the pieces.
10. Store in an airtight container.
Source: Cooking Channel TV